|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 166:||Line 166:|
== Mac OSX Build ==
* A post-build fix-up script is used to add appropriate relative paths to all shared libraries and binaries. This ensures that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't need to be set and allows the Mac build to be installed to any location.
* The initialisation scripts ($STARLINK_DIR/etc/profile for bash and $STARLINK_DIR/etc/login & $STARLINK_DIR/etc/cshrc for tcsh) don't set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
* The gfortran and libjpeg shared libraries are now added into the build and shipped to users instead of being a required dependency.
* In addition, some shared libraries required by some of the perl modules are also now being shipped (libgbdm, libfontconfig, libfreetype and libpng16)
* The only remaining dependencies for users to install are XQuartz/X11 and java.
Starlink Software Collection - 2015A Release Notes
- This is the final release funded by the Science and Technology Facilities Council. Future development will continue with the East Asian Observatory. Community contributions are welcomed.
- Improved documentation build system: hyperlinks in the pdf documents and improved styling for the html output.
- Mac OSX build has fewer dependencies, is relocatable, and no longer needs to use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
- The applications KAPRH and ECHWIND have been removed in this release.
Changes to Applications
- The ccdexercise script has been fixed.
- ccdexercise is now available to bash users.
- IDL routines for reading a writing NDF files now correctly locate the shared libraries in $CONVERT_DIR.
- A bug in FITS2NDF has been fixed when merging FITS WCS headers into a pre-existing WCS extension.
- EXTRACTCLUMPS now has SHAPE and NCLUMPS parameters.
A description of the FellWalker algorithm has now been published in Astronomy & Computing journal: doi:10.1016/j.ascom.2014.11.004
- SExtractor has been updated to v2.19.5
- A mask can be applied to an image even if one is NDF and the other is FITS.
- Limits in XY histogram have been improved.
- TAP tables can now be visualized.
- VOTable 1.3 now supported.
- GAIA now uses VTK 6.1 for 3D rendering.
- The width of the output can now be controlled and by default the full terminal width will be used.
- Requests for obsolete documents that are not available locally will be forwarded to ADS.
- WCSALIGN and WCSMOSAIC have a new parameter ALIGNREF.
- SETQUAL can now store a constant value in the quality array.
- COPYBAD now correctly sets the bad pixel flag.
- LOGFILE parameter added to CONFIGECHO.
- A bug has been fixed in SEGMENT when an NDF is supplied with degenerate axes.
- MSTATS is now more reliable.
- Bash users now have feature parity with csh users.
- The dimmconfig.lis configuration file has been deprecated. New user-config files should not use it.
- An experimental scan synchronous noise (SSN) model has been added to the SCUBA-2 map-maker.
- TIMESORT can now handle data with differing spectral bounds.
- A new script "jsatilemoc" has been added for making coverage representations (in MOC format) of JSA tiles.
- New document: SSN/79 describes a possible approach to modifying the SCUBA-2 map-maker to use a compute cluster.
- The amount of multi-threading in makemap is reduced if doing so allows chunking to be avoided.
- More robust handling of JSA tiles that cross RA=12h or that adjoin a discontinuity in the HEALPix all-sky projection.
- The number of chunks used to make a SCUBA-2 map is now recorded in the FITS extension of the map.
- makemap can now be told to abort if chunking would be used.
- Now uses tex4ht. latex2html support has been removed.
Changes to Libraries
- The astRebin and astRebinSeq family of functions now include support for arrays with char (byte) and unsigned char (unsigned byte) data types.
The Base and Current attributes of a FrameSet may now be set using the Domain name or the index of the required Frame.
- The FITS XPH projection is now supported.
The order of WCS axes within new FITS-WCS headers created by astWrite can now be controlled using a new attribute called FitsAxisOrder.
- New function: astAppendStringf to allow printf-style conversions in supplied text.
- The 2015 leap second has been added.
- A fix has been made to the handling of Ident attributes. This fixes the display of images created by KAPPA CHANMAP.
- Some fixes have been made to atlFrameSetSplit.
- Minor bugs have been fixed following valgrind analysis.
- A problem with end-of-file handling in gfortran has been fixed.
- Minor tidying to internal documentation
- Improved tests.
- The variance calculation for the SUM estimator has been fixed.
- The handling of _CHAR data types in kpg1_hsect has been fixed.
- Support was added for the new ALIGNREF parameter in WCSALIGN and WCSMOSAIC.
- New routine: NDF_HCOPY can be used to copy history information.
- NDG1_APPEN has been fixed to handle the presence of HDS cell specifiers being used once CONVERT has been enabled.
- Version 0.9.0 PAL included.
- New routines: palPcd, palUnpcd, palEcleq, palPolmo, palAltaz, palVers (to report version programmatically), palRefcoq, palRefv, palAtmdsp, palRef.
- Now links against ERFA instead of SOFA.
- 2015 leap second included.
- SUN/267 has been updated.
- alink and ilink have been updated to compile the main routine each time rather than using an installed object file. This change allows people to build ADAM tasks from a Starlink binary distribution even if their compiler is slightly different to the one used to do the initial build.
- PSX_WORDEXP is now better at reporting errors.
- The 2015 leap second has been added.
- a Latex class for creating starlink documentation was created, and is now used for all current documentation.
- the HTML output of Starlink documentation was switched to using TeX4HT instead of latex2html. In doing so the appearance of the HTML output was changed greatly.
- some older Starlink documents that are not associated with a specific application or library were obsoleted and are no longer built by default.
- All available historical Starlink documents are now indexed and hosted by ADS. If showme is used to request an obsolete document the ADS entry will be displayed.
Mac OSX Build
- A post-build fix-up script is used to add appropriate relative paths to all shared libraries and binaries. This ensures that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't need to be set and allows the Mac build to be installed to any location.
The initialisation scripts ($STARLINK_DIR/etc/profile for bash and $STARLINK_DIR/etc/login & $STARLINK_DIR/etc/cshrc for tcsh) don't set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
- The gfortran and libjpeg shared libraries are now added into the build and shipped to users instead of being a required dependency.
- In addition, some shared libraries required by some of the perl modules are also now being shipped (libgbdm, libfontconfig, libfreetype and libpng16)
- The only remaining dependencies for users to install are XQuartz/X11 and java.
Recent Articles on Starlink software
FellWalker -- A clump identification algorithm, Astronomy & Computing, 2015, 10, 25, doi:10.1016/j.ascom.2014.11.004
ORAC-DR: A generic data reduction pipeline infrastructure, Astronomy & Computing, 2015, 9, 40, doi:10.1016/j.ascom.2014.10.005
Learning from 25 years of the extensible N-Dimensional Data Format, Astronomy & Computing, 2015, in press, arXiv:1410.7513
Reimplementing the Hierarchical Data System using HDF5, Astronomy & Computing, 2015, in press, arXiv:1502.04029